I don't care if nobody really reads it, I'm just bored

 The Catcher In The Rye - Chapters 1 - 3

The first thing I noticed about this book was the title was not "Catcher in the Rye," it was "The Catcher in they Rye." It makes me think, more than ever, that abbrs. will be the end of us.

The second thing I noticed was that this book is riddled with the word "I." This would drive any English teacher insane, but the fact that I even noticed this makes me a bit afraid about my future career*.

People had told me, before I embarked on this literary journey (oh no I AM an English teacher) that I could relate to the main character, Holden. In response, I said, "Who names their kid Holden?!?" Regardless of his name, I also realized that no book about someone like me would ever be published. Already, I was doubtful of what they told me.

Then I began reading the book and noticed a few....strikingly different characteristics. One, this kid painted the interior of his lungs a dark shade of black, where mine are pink because I don't smoke. Second, this kid can't cut out his goddamn swearing to save his life. Third, he was flunking four classes (except English...dun dun dunnn). I don't flunk them at least. Were one to make a Venn diagram, the only similarity would be "gender," but with a name like Holden, it's a bit hard to tell that one.

* Though I was happy to know that, on paper, I misspelled "career."

 posted Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - only 0 comments?!?

add a comment
 

Previous Posts

• Something New - A Song
• Cat on the Roof
• Halo PC Review
• Artistic Photos Flickr Gallery
• Picture of a picture of a picture
• Feet in The Water
• Maui Downhill Biking