I don't care if nobody really reads it, I'm just bored

 The Catcher In The Rye - My Opinion

I just finished reading The Catcher In The Rye, and I'm here to tell you my opinion.

Seinfeld is a good show, and one of the things that makes it pretty funny is the fact that it's about nothing exciting. One would think that the day-to-day life of someone would not be funny or even interesting, but Seinfeld pulls it off.

The Catcher In The Rye does not pull it off. This is quite possibly one of the most boring books I think I've ever read. I've never liked books that are classics and I believe this one is classified as one. "Classic," to me, means that it has an important life lesson in it (which I will get to), and it was also written by someone who has been dead for at least one century.

I must give this book credit, the narrator does not make this book sound like it was written by a writer. It makes it sound like it was written by a human being, though I would have preferred a writer in this case, simply because they could have made it more interesting, and also not repeat sentences like "It really was." and "That killed me." over and over and over again. Look through the book; there is not a page that lacks the following sentences in varying forms.

  • "That killed me."
  • "It really was."
  • "He was a phony."

    I'm serious, there is not a page that lacks one of those, and I challenge you to find one that has none of those sentences in any form.

    Because this is a "classic," there has to be a life lesson to be learned. It is given to you by a man (who turns out to be a possible pedaphile) who tells the main character to apply yourself in school, always do your best, and you will lead the life you want. Do not die nobly for a cause when you can live humbly instead. Then the main character yawns and falls asleep. As did I.

    If you haven't read this book, you're lucky, but you'll probably have to read it sometime for school. If you have, congratulations, you survived.

     posted Saturday, August 12, 2006 - only 0 comments?!?

    add a comment
  •  

    Previous Posts

    • Caught on Film
    • My Newest Mp3 Player
    • Spy on Me
    • Nerdy Apple Joke
    • Awwdorable
    • My New REAL Macbook
    • Soldier 2 - August 6, 2006
    • Inside the Human Body
    • Singing Badly
    • Strangest Dream Ever